Sometimes, on our mission to look our best, we can damage our hair in the process - especially if we aren’t using the right products to protect it. When the hair is damaged, the cuticles are broken down, which can lead to all sorts of problems - from split ends to thinning and dry strands.
If you are someone who suffers from damaged hair caused by heat treatments, over-styling and overgrooming, then Humanery is here to help. We offer a wide range of protective men’s hair styling products and repair treatments from best-selling brands like PATRICKS, Saunders & Long, and Augustinus Bader. Our curated collection includes hydrating leave-in hair treatments, strengthening protein conditioners, and high-performance repair shampoos.
What causes damaged hair?
There are a lot of factors that contribute towards damaged hair, including health, lifestyle and sun exposure. Some of the main causes of damaged hair include:
- Using heated styling tools - heat styling products such as blow dryers and straighteners are the main culprits of split ends, frizz and dry strands
- Overbrushing - brushing the hair too frequently can lead to breakage, weakened strands and split ends
- Using the wrong shampoo - not using the right shampoo for your hair type can result in damaged and dry strands, as well as scalp issues. Acidity and pH play an important role in this (source)
- Nutritional deficiencies - certain types of medication and specific diets can lead to a lack of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients
- Using hair colouring products - hair dye can damage the hair shaft with long-term use. Some permanent hair dyes contain harsh ingredients such as Ammonia, Hydrogen Peroxide and P-Phenylenediamine (PPD)
- Towel drying - vigorously drying wet hair with a towel causes frizz from friction, and leads to brittle hair and breakage
- Underwashing - not washing your hair enough can cause product buildup, a dirty, oily scalp, and trapped dead skin cells. When this happens, moisture is prevented from entering the scalp, which results in dryness.
How can men treat damaged hair?
Here at Humanery, we offer a wide range of products specially developed to treat and repair damaged hair. Some solutions you can try to restore your strands and improve scalp health long-term include:
- Using heat protectant - heat protection spray creates a barrier between your styling tool and hair
- Using leave-in conditioners - leave-in treatments lock in moisture and contain nourishing ingredients that work to revive lifeless, damaged hair
- Trimming split ends regularly - trimming the hair encourages hair growth and improves overall hair health, as well as appearance
- Being gentle when drying - Patting the hair dry instead of rubbing it with a rough towel will prevent frizz and breakage. Using a microfibre towel will absorb any water while being kind to your strands
- Avoid using permanent hair dyes - semi-permanent dyes are much gentler on the hair, while henna contains no harsh chemicals or ammonia that lead to long-term damage
- Using hair treatments weekly - hair oils and deep conditioners will restore the hair back to its former glory
You may also find our guide on looking after damaged hair, in The Grooming Journal useful.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice.